Stage II Fire Restrictions
Northern Rockies Area outside of North Dakota
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
- Building maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.:
- a. Operating any internal combustion engine.
- b. Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- c. Using an explosive.
A one hour foot patrol in the work area is required following cessation of all activities as identified in #3 above.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails.
- Persons with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles on designated roads and trails.
- Emergency repair of public utilities and railroads as per attached conditions.
- Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
- Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- All land within a city boundary is exempted.
- Other exemptions unique to each agency/tribe.
- You could be fined up to $5,000 individually or $10,000 for an organization and imprisonment up to 6 months for violating restrictions and closures.
- You can be held liable for all suppression costs and damages if you start a fire.
Northern Rockies Area in North Dakota
- Open burning is prohibited.
Off-Road Motorized Travel:
- Off-road motorized travel is prohibited except for persons engaged in a trade, business or occupation where it is required.
- Fire extinguishers and fire tools are required.
- Restrict smoking to inside of vehicles, places of habitation and areas cleared to mineral soil.
- Use ashtrays and proper disposal containers.
- Use of fireworks by individuals is prohibited.
- Farming: Conduct frequent inspections of farm machinery to reduce debris accumulation. Remain at the work site one-half hour after operations are completed.
- Petroleum Industry: Confine blasting for seismic exploration by 10 feet or more of soil. Inspect and properly maintain equipment. Remain at the work site one-half hour after operations are completed.
- Welding: Use spark arresters, as recommended, and keep a 10-foot radius surrounding a welding site cleared of combustible material. Water tanks with 100 gallons and 100 feet of hose are required.
- Railroads: Conduct weekly inspection of exhaust arrester systems and brakes.